YUGOSLAVIA PLAYERS EURO 1992

Research on Players International Matches
alfredo

Postby alfredo » 27 Jan 2008, 12:59

Hello everyone,

I have been searching for a long time on the information about the list of Yugoslavian national football team that was given at the time of the European Nations' Cup in 1992. As you know, the national team of Yugoslavia was qualified to play that tournament, but, because the civil war which had started one year earlier and the decision of the UN and the EU of banning Serbia and Montenegro, they couldn't finally play. Denmark did instead of them and surprisingly, won the tournament. Nevertheless, before that decision was taken, there was a team of Yugoslavia who in fact travelled to Sweden to participate in that event. All I know is that a 18-player expedition went to that country, and it was after they arrived there that they were given the information that they couldn't play. Can anyone tell me who were the Yugoslavian players who travelled to Sweden, and who was the coach of that team, since Ivica Osim had previously resigned because the bombing on Sarajevo, where his family lived?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by alfredo on 28 Sep 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

silvermane

Postby silvermane » 27 Jan 2008, 14:08

Maybe this link can help you: http://www.reprezentacija.co.yu/cgi-bin ... trana=1992

Although I can only count 17 players being mentioned as traveling to Sweden. 5 others (Croats and Bosniaks - Slovene players have withdrawn earlier) must have withdrew from the squad (Suši?, Baždarevi?, Jozi?, Hadžibegi?, Ivkovi?).
Last edited by silvermane on 28 Sep 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

keith
Favorite Club: WEST HAM UNITED

Postby keith » 27 Jan 2008, 14:31

I have found a World Soccer supplement for 1992 which gives the following squad for Euro 1992:

GK
Dragoje Lekovic
Fahrudin Omerovic

DEF
Branko Brnovic
Farukh Hadzibegic
Predrag Spasic
Ilija Najdoski
Miroslav Djukic
Budimir Vujacic
Dzoni Novak

MID
Dragan Stojkovic
Sinisa Mihaljovic
Mehmed Bazdarevic
Predrag Mijatovic
Vladimir Jogovic
Vujadin Stanojkovic

FOR
Dejan Savicevic
Slivisa Jokanovic
Darko Pancev
Meho Kodro

It also shows the coach as Ivica Osim so perhaps this was a preliminary squad but it might help.
Last edited by keith on 28 Sep 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

necronudist

Postby necronudist » 27 Jan 2008, 14:35

alfredo wrote:Hello everyone,

I have been searching for a long time on the information about the list of Yugoslavian national football team that was given at the time of the European Nations' Cup in 1992. As you know, the national team of Yugoslavia was qualified to play that tournament, but, because the civil war which had started one year earlier and the decision of the UN and the EU of banning Serbia and Montenegro, they couldn't finally play. Denmark did instead of them and surprisingly, won the tournament. Nevertheless, before that decision was taken, there was a team of Yugoslavia who in fact travelled to Sweden to participate in that event. All I know is that a 18-player expedition went to that country, and it was after they arrived there that they were given the information that they couldn't play. Can anyone tell me who were the Yugoslavian players who travelled to Sweden, and who was the coach of that team, since Ivica Osim had previously resigned because the bombing on Sarajevo, where his family lived?

Thanks in advance.

Really interesting...
Last edited by necronudist on 28 Sep 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

alfredo

Postby alfredo » 27 Jan 2008, 16:26

keith wrote:I have found a World Soccer supplement for 1992 which gives the following squad for Euro 1992:

GK
Dragoje Lekovic
Fahrudin Omerovic

DEF
Branko Brnovic
Farukh Hadzibegic
Predrag Spasic
Ilija Najdoski
Miroslav Djukic
Budimir Vujacic
Dzoni Novak

MID
Dragan Stojkovic
Sinisa Mihaljovic
Mehmed Bazdarevic
Predrag Mijatovic
Vladimir Jogovic
Vujadin Stanojkovic

FOR
Dejan Savicevic
Slivisa Jokanovic
Darko Pancev
Meho Kodro

It also shows the coach as Ivica Osim so perhaps this was a preliminary squad but it might help.

Many thanks for your help. According to my sources, all the Bosnians players (like Hadzibegic, Bazdarevic and Kodro), decided not to go to the Yugoslavian national team for the Euro because the war in their republic. Darko Pancev did the same thing (after he was hired by Internazionale Milano for the next season and it was clear that the Republic of Macedonia was about to proclaim its independence from Yugoslavia). So, only players from Serbia and Montenegro (or, otherwise, those from other republics, like Fahrudin Omerovic, Dzoni Novak, Vujadin Stanojkovic or Ilija Najdoski who still belonged to clubs from Serbia and Montenegro), were ready to play in that tournament. About Predrag Spasic, he was playing for Osasuna a that time, here in Spain, and even although I know he hoped to be on the list, he finally didn't count among the group selected, so, there should have been other names added when that list was given, around May in 1992.
Last edited by alfredo on 28 Sep 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

necronudist

Postby necronudist » 29 May 2008, 21:05

Any news?
Last edited by necronudist on 28 Sep 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Golem

Postby Golem » 18 Jun 2008, 02:42

Wow, this is a really hard information to find. Here is the list I found:

Fahrudin Omerovic
Dragoje Lekovic

Vujadin Stanojkovic
Darko Milanic
Dzoni Novak
Gordan Petric
Slobodan Dubajic
Ilija Najdoski
Budimir Vujacic
Dusko Radinovic

Slavisa Jokanovic
Sinisa Mihajlovic
Vladimir Jugovic
Branko Brnovic
Dragan Stojkovic

Dejan Savicevic
Predrag Mijatovic

The coach was Ivan Cabrinovic, Osim's assistent.
Last edited by Golem on 28 Sep 2011, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

necronudist

Postby necronudist » 18 Jun 2008, 10:28

What's the source?
Last edited by necronudist on 28 Sep 2011, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

Golem

Postby Golem » 18 Jun 2008, 19:11

necronudist wrote:What's the source?

Some bosnian guy. lol But here's the team that should have been there:

Drazen Ladic
Tomislav Ivkovic

Zoran Vulic
Ilija Najdoski
Robert Jarni
Miroslav ?uki?
Dzoni Novak
Faruk Hadzibegic
Branko Brnovic

Slavisa Jokanovic
Sinisa Mihajlovic
Vladimir Jugovic
Zvonimir Boban
Robert Prosinecki
Dragan Stojkovic
Dejan Savicevic

Darko Pancev
Davor Suker
Predrag Mijatovic
Alen Boksic
Last edited by Golem on 28 Sep 2011, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

necronudist

Postby necronudist » 18 Jun 2008, 20:08

Comparing World Soccer and your Bosnian guy...there seems to be confusion...
Is it so difficult to find out? Strange...
Last edited by necronudist on 28 Sep 2011, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Player International”