Referees/Chelsea/Barcelona

News from Playerhistory Group
hmps

Postby hmps » 07 May 2009, 18:28

My dear friends

These are some thoughts and notes after I have seen the Chelsea-Barcelona
Semi-final of yesterday and the way it ended.

After what we all saw yesterday in the Chelsea-Barcelona semi-final , with
a referee (norwegian fisherman , i think ... ) seeing nothing and with a
bundle of crucial wrong decisions , I think that Uefa can't going whistling
apart as nothing had happened !
A club whatever he will be can't be defrauded in such way and in such high
level as it was a Champions League Semi-Final

I think that the discussions over the introduction of other means to clarify
and take the right decision will grow exponentialy.And as other sport did
recently like Rugby and Tennis , Football will have to give a step forward
to make thing more correct.

Bye
Last edited by hmps on 28 Sep 2011, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

keith
Favorite Club: WEST HAM UNITED

Postby keith » 08 May 2009, 00:33

I agree - the sending off of Abidal last night, like that of Fletcher in the Man U v Arsenal game the night before, were travesties of justice. In addition at least one of the Chelsea 'penalties' looked to be valid and so was the one when Henry was pulled back by a Chelsea defender in the first leg. It's time for FIFA & UEFA to join the 21st Century and use technical aids such as TV replays.
Last edited by keith on 28 Sep 2011, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

pedronunes
Favorite Club: Benfica

Postby pedronunes » 08 May 2009, 03:36

The referee did a bad job... but i think it was because he couldnt do it better.

There are countrys like mine... that the referee do the same thing... the difference is they are not bad... they are corrupted...
Every year wins the same teams... every year the teams that are robbed are the same...

I would love to have only bad referees... at least they would misjudge for all sides...

I envy Norway referees!!!
Last edited by pedronunes on 28 Sep 2011, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Armata

Postby Armata » 08 May 2009, 14:30

The ref had a scandalous performance overall, which makes me think that either his level is very poor (besides this game I remember one game in Euro 2008 where he gave a shady penalty that only he saw it & dissalowed a perfect goal for the opposite side) or it's the simple fact that UEFA gives directives to those refs. Not once I heard and read declarations comming from UEFA officials claiming Man Utd - Barcelona would be a "dream" final and the numerous critics of british domination in the Champions League who feared another copy of the 'boring' final of last year and the fear of fans clashes in Rome. All those reasons make me think the refeere was just obeying the rules comming from his higher officials.
It's quite clear that UEFA's policy is to have the more "diverse" teams possible in the final and they have done all they could to avoid another same-country final. This theory can also be confirmed by the UEFA Cup quarters & semi draw. In my opinion the latter was done in a way to avoid the possibility having an 100% ukrainian, german or french final..if it isn't this then it's the biggest coincidence I have witnessed.
In conclusion I believe, even if fans beg for cameras & video help for the refs, UEFA won't allow it. The reason why they are not even trying to implement the video system is because, in my opinion, the system would clear many "human" mistakes the refs they delegate are doing...maybe intentionally.
Last edited by Armata on 28 Sep 2011, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Postby Mark » 08 May 2009, 16:40

If UEFA do not want teams from the same nation in finals, semi-finals etc, why they do they allow 4 teams from certain countries, 3 from others ?, if they want a fair system, than the champions of all leagues would be in the competition. It is their own fault really for allowing that to happen in the first place. Now, they can not afford to get rid of them cause the money they would gain would be dramatically reduced. Also, if UEFA do ever reduce it back to one team from each country, the top teams would create their own European Super League that was talked about a year ago.
Last edited by Mark on 28 Sep 2011, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

hmps

Postby hmps » 08 May 2009, 18:21

Yes , I agree

And in the new format of the Champions , small countries like Portugal loose
clubs and we are speaking about a country that has 6 European won !
Platini came as the new Robin Hood of the 21st Century and under my
perspective didn't bring anything new and really interesting.
If he want to break the Rule Britania , that won't be achieved with actions
like that one of last Wednesday

Bye
Last edited by hmps on 28 Sep 2011, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

keith
Favorite Club: WEST HAM UNITED

Postby keith » 09 May 2009, 15:29

I don't buy into the conspiracy theory as the referee sent off a Barca player (Abidal) and in the first leg they were denied a penalty when Henry was brought down. Neither events were condusive to Barca winning !!!. I just think that the ref did not have a very good game but their job is not helped by 'divers' - notably Drogba, and the pace at which games are now played. We also now have instant TV replays from lots of different angles that highlight any mistakes made. We MUST follow other sports such as Tennis, Cricket, American Football & Rugby in using technical aids to try and get the correct decisions.
Last edited by keith on 28 Sep 2011, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

hmps

Postby hmps » 09 May 2009, 15:58

Yes ... Keith that's the point !

This discussions always end to see who got the benefits and who was undermined !

The problem was solved in other sports by the introduction of media means to help
the referee to take a better decision.

I also think some 4 or 5% will go on to be impossible to decide clearly , a week ago
in the NBA a match between Chicago and Boston a throw was given as two points as
neither of the five or six angles shown gave the possible to decide ! But this reduce
the margin or errors almost to none.

As Metaller said here in Portugal we have a bundle of referees that are not only bad
but are also suspicious ... And in the last case the new technologies will end with
these guys's carreers shortly .

Bye

Return to “News”